The English Language: The Benefits of Learning in England

https://www.flickr.com/photos/anirudhkoul 
During my time living in England, I have had many commenters note that my English language and accent is very good. Although they can’t pinpoint a specific regional dialect or slang, I manage to wow people when I tell them I am from France and was living there right up until I was 10. Not that there’s anything wrong with having an accent in any form, but English speaking skills are highly desired around the world, as I was very lucky to have these skills.

There are a number of factors that I believe have contributed to my excellent English language skills. Many of the expats I know moved to the UK at a much earlier age than me, but the mistake they made was not making attempts to surround themselves with the English language. They all watched French dubs of TV shows and found other French people to hang around with, where-as I watched episodes of Bargain Hunt, EastEnders, Have I Got News For You, and just about any other English programme I could find, and had a wide range of English friends.

I believe being based in England has become an essential part of fully grasping the language. People generally say it is one of the hardest languages to learn alongside Mandarin, because you realise how many intricacies and variations there are to the numerous dialects across the country. For anyone looking to learn English to the best of their abilities, choosing where to go can have a big impact on how and what you learn.

Since leaving France, I have settled in both London and Brighton in the South of England. As much as I love the capital city, Brighton is my top recommendation for budding English speakers, not simply for the surroundings but also for the numerous quality language schools. An English school in Brighton can make great use of the various assets within the city, including a diverse range of people from all-over the country, as well as many different sub-cultures who appropriate the English language in many different ways.

As a result of my DIY language development, there are obviously some kinks and bad-habits I've picked up from listening to my English friends for hours, but I feel this is a great part of learning a language from a unique perspective. The bonus of learning at a language school is that these habits of language can be overcome quite easily, or can be appropriated for more fitting settings. I've always aimed to incorporate certain slang-words into my everyday lexicon regardless.

Being in a foreign country is already a rather frightening experience, but adding on the pressure with a yet-to-grasp foreign language adds an extra challenge on top of this. One of the main things I remember is being paranoid that people were talking about me in English, as well as feeling sometimes left-out that I couldn't join in with a clearly entertaining conversation. Despite this, and because of how friendly and talkative Brightonians can be, I was constantly in various situations where I had to attempt to converse in English, forcing myself to learn.


This generally friendly and approachable attitude is what ultimately helped me develop my English skills. I also knew plenty of people at English language schools who said exactly the same thing to me, and how frequent English conversations helped them develop their skills further. This is ultimately why, if I was in a position to choose, I would go Brighton all the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Moments with Hot Air Balloon Rides

How To Throw the Ultimate Uni House Party

Staycation: Embracing the Sun in the UK