Once You've Gone Mac There's No Going Back

About three years ago I made the switch from Windows-powered PC to my first ever Apple computer. It was a second hand MacBook and I'd convinced myself that if I were to be taken seriously as a writer then I'd need such a machine to look the part. It cost considerably more than a similarly spec'd Windows laptop but I was determined that I'd have my flashy status symbol device. After all, you can't sip cappuccinos in trendy independent Brighton coffee shops whilst hammering out your musings on life on a scruffy looking Dell. If your laptop doesn't have a glowing Apple logo shining out to all and sundry then frankly you don't belong and you should keep that ugly old Windows machine hidden away behind closed doors.

A lot of people scoff at the perceived arrogance of Apple users. There is a common complaint leveled at so-called "fanboys" that they have a completely blinkered view of their Apple devices, partly to justify the premium they've paid and partly because Apple as a brand is so powerful and desirable that devotees are entirely blind to any possible flaws (lest we forget Apple is the reigning coolest brand in the UK). I have to confess I can feel myself falling into the same trap.

Until recently my MacBook had left me seriously impressed. In comparison to the Windows machines I was used to it was a far smoother and hassle-free experience. At the risk of sounding like an Apple sponsored cliche, it just worked, and it's amazing how quickly you get used to that and take it for granted. On the occasions I had to use Windows machines, such as at college or when abroad trying to upload my holiday snaps, I found the experience painfully sluggish and awkward. I was reminded just how slow, unresponsive and irritating Microsoft's operating system could be, and that's when you yearn for your Mac the most.



You'll notice however, I said "until recently" and that's because, alas, I foolishly dropped my beloved MacBook between my home and the local trendy independent Brighton coffee shop recently. Praying to the computer gods as I picked it up to inspect it, I was mortified to find the screen was smashed and the display was showing a dull grey nothingness. Had I just killed this expensive life-changing machine? Thoughts started racing through my head: Would I lose my data? How could I possibly afford a new one? Was I going to have to face the ignominy of returning to the dark days of an ugly, clunky Windows-powered laptop?

Relying on my phone to check my options online I frantically searched for the best solution to my mashed up MacBook conundrum. Having picked it up second hand there was no warranty or care plan and I knew that repairs done within an Apple retail store could be costly, if they were even possible considering the damage I'd managed to do.

There were cases I read about online where users had made their own repairs, having sourced the required replacement parts on eBay, but I knew this was beyond the scope of my own technical ability. A hard disk replacement or RAM upgrade I might have just about managed, but my machine was shattered, with shards of glass crumbling out of the screen. There was a serious risk of my only making things worse were I to attempt this by myself but I was scared to take it to Apple, knowing that without a warranty I'd have to pay full price for their expertise. But what other options were there?



In the end I Googled Apple Mac Repairs and came up with a local company who seemed to have received a lot of positive reviews. And most importantly, it promised to be cheaper than going to the dauntingly glossy Apple store, where I feared being looked at with disdain for treating my Apple product with such disrespect.

I eagerly arranged a time to take my smashed Mac in so they could assess the damage and let me know whether it was salvageable, and at what price. To my considerable relief they told me it wasn't beyond repair and a quick diagnostic check confirmed that the hard drive was fine so I shouldn't have lost any data. It was, they said, a fairly common repair job to replace a broken screen and their expertise in this field meant I should have little to worry about, so having been given a quote I considered very reasonable I left it in their capable hands.

The very next day my much loved machine was back to full health and itching to get back to the coffee shop where I could work on this very post!

The debate over whether Apple products are truly worth the significant premium they command over rival machines is one for another day, and I'm sure there is an element of paying for the label in exactly the same way as Armani jeans are about five times the price of a pair from H&M, however one thing is for certain: the thought of having to return to a Windows PC left me utterly devastated. And this is where Apple have really done a job. Once you've bought into their world and the whole Apple ecosystem, the thought of leaving it is genuinely fear inducing. Hats off to the late Steve Jobs for managing this. I honestly don't know where I'd be without my MacBook now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Moments with Hot Air Balloon Rides

How To Throw the Ultimate Uni House Party

Staycation: Embracing the Sun in the UK